History of the Network
The Safe Routes to School National Partnership – California State Network has been in existence since spring 2007. In 2012, four new full time staff positions were added, thereby significantly expanding the National Partnership’s reach throughout California.
A Deeper Look at our Work: California Action Plan
The Action Plan guides the National Partnership’s California staff. It is an in depth look at our goals and objectives with external partners. Using the Action Plan we will facilitate collaboration and mutual support of our partners’ efforts to support the creation of walkable and bikeable communities and access to schools in California.
The state and regional networks support the National Partnership’s five focus areas through the following tasks:
1. Changing policy and built environment infrastructure investments to support increases in walking and bicycling, especially for children on the route to school.
2. Implementing Complete Streets policies and street-scale improvements.
3. Fostering shared-use agreements and community-based school policies.
4. Increasing capacity for data collection and evaluation, and identifying new research needs.
5. Building the capacity for leadership and strengthening our networks through communications.
6. Advancing social equity.
7. Assuring sustainability.
Implementation of the California State Action Plan requires the coordination of partners at local, county, regional and state levels to ensure the coordinated implementation of our policy goals. The California State Network is grateful for the leadership and efforts of many individuals and organizations who participate in monthly meetings, action teams and more.