LA Metro calls for Active Transportation Finance Strategy
July 16, 2014 2 Comments
Thank you to all our Los Angeles County Active Transportation Collaborative Partners for attending Metro’s Policy and Programming committee. Your support for an active transportation strategy was heard! Thanks to the leadership of Metro Directors: Mike Bonin, Pam O’Connor, John Fasana and Mark Ridley Thomas, next Thursday (7/24) the Metro Board will consider adoption of this motion to:
1. Develop an Active Transportation Finance Strategy for Los Angeles County by January 2015 that:
- Defines performance metrics to measure improvements for walking and biking, including: access to walking and biking infrastructure, access to education and encouragement programs, rates of Metro customers walking and biking to transit, collision and injury/fatality rates and greenhouse gas reductions from active transportation
- Sets benchmarks based on the developed performance metrics and identifies what level of annual investment is necessary to meet those goals
- Inventories available funding sources to meet the investment need
- Recommends possible changes to Metro, state, and federal policies to increase access to existing funding sources if the need exceeds available funding, including but not limited to an analysis of the funding priorities of Metro’s Call for Projects and the state Active Transportation Program.
2. Report back in October on what steps are necessary to incorporate walking and biking in Metro’s travel demand model, with an assessment of best practices by other regional transportation agencies for accounting for active transportation with interim off-model approaches, and expanding data sets to include all trips not just commute data.