SANBAG adopts MOU with SCAG
November 6, 2013 2 Comments
Today the San Bernardino Association of Governments (SANBAG) board adopted a historic Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (Item 7) with the Southern California Association of Governments that commits the two agencies to working together on a number of projects related to the implementation of the 2012 Regional Transportation Plan and Sustainable Communities Strategy (RTP/SCS).
Included in the MOU are a number of specific planning projects that will transform the County into a more walkable and bikeable place and improve the quality of life for its residents. The National Partnership is grateful to SANBAG and SCAG for incorporating many of the items recommended in the San Bernardino Active Transportation Vision that was developed by stakeholders from across the county.
Specifically the plan calls upon the two agencies to do the following related to active transportation:
- Implement the first-last mile strategies included in the award winning “Improvement to Transit Access for Cyclists and Pedestrians” plan.
- Develop a countywide “Safe Routes to School Inventory” to document existing programs and identify opportunities to increase funding.
- Explore opportunities to “Expedite Active Transportation Funding” to improve bicycle and pedestrian connectivity countywide.
- Develop “Performance Measurements and Monitoring” for health, greenhouse gas reductions, etc.
- Support the development of “Complete Street Policies” throughout the county and include these components in upcoming countywide projects.
- Support “Legislative Initiatives” that would increase funding for multimodal planning.