Orange County Bicycle Statistics – Quick Facts
June 4, 2013 1 Comment
We love data! These statistics were shared at the Orange County Transportation Agency Bikeways Planning Workshop for Districts 1 & 2, link provides more meeting information and presentations.
Quick Facts about bicycling in Orange County:
- Bicyclist Safety: O.C. 9th worse (of 58 counties) in bike injuries
- Increasing Travel Demand: Doubling of peak hour roadway congestion by 2035 and 11% increase in daily person trips by 2035 (LRTP 2010)
- Fuel Consumption: South Coast drivers consume nearly 1 billion gal. of gasoline annually (SCAQMD 2012)
- Land Consumption: Parking and Roads Account for over 1/4 of the land in urban areas
- Health: Child obesity is too high (19.2% for 12-19 age group) with significant impacts on health (OC Public Health 2012)
Thus, providing resources for bicycling will help mitigate the impacts stated above.