City of Los Angeles: Safe Routes to School Strategic Plan
May 22, 2013 3 Comments
We’re excited to see the City of Los Angeles Safe Routes to School Strategic plan continue to move forward. Los Angeles City Department of Transportation Pedestrian Coordinators Margot Ocanas and Valerie Watson continue to work to prioritize the top 50 schools out of the 495 LAUSD schools within the City’s boundaries. Safety is one of the key factors in the prioritization plan because, in the City of LA, school age children (ages 5-17) account for 19% of all pedestrian-related collisions and 18% of all fatally or severely injured pedestrians.
City of Los Angeles Safe Routes to School Strategic Plan Key Objectives:
- Use a data-based approach to rank order nearly 500 LAUSD schools within the City of LA to identify those with the most need.
- Formalize a kit-of-parts for infrastructure and non-infrastructure strategies to improve the walking and bicycling environment.
- Enhance collaboration and communication between City and LAUSD.
To make the most of City resources, the SRTS Strategic Plan will initially focus on the Top 50 LAUSD schools with the highest need, prioritized by: (A) # of vehicle-pedestrian/bike collisions; (B) # of students who live within 1/4 mile from school; (C) # of students eligible for Free-Reduced Price Meals; and (D) lack of prior state/federal SRTS funding.
- Create and complete individualized School Travel Plans for LAUSD schools within the City of LA, starting with the Top 50, to source funding
- Develop infrastructure and non-infrastructure countermeasures toolbox
- Create GIS-based data and project management tools
How to get involved:
- One of the best ways to learn more and get invovled in the City’s Safe Routes to School efforts is to attend their bi-monthly Pedestrian Advisory Committee where there are regular updates from LADOT on this effort. The next meeting is July 18th 2-4 pm at the Los Angeles Department of Transportation offices in the caltrans building, located at 100 south main street 90012. Email Terree Walton to be placed on the email list: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More info: Los Angeles City Department of Transportation: City of Los Angeles – SRTS Strategic Plan Fact Sheet, PDF of presentation at March Pedestrian Advisory Committee meeting.