Safe Routes to School in the Active Transportation Program
What is the ATP?
The Active Transportation Program (ATP) is a new statewide grant program that encourages bicycling and walking, especially for children traveling to school and for residents of disadvantaged communities. Safe Routes to School grants are now awarded through the ATP rather than through a separate SRTS program. The same types of school-based projects and programs are still eligible (see “examples of projects” section below), but are now funded through the new ATP with other types of walking and bicycling projects.
In 2014, $360 million will be awarded competitively as grants to communities across California for Safe Routes to School, walking, and bicycling projects and programs. That amount represents three years of state and federal active transportation funding from 2013-14 through 2015-16 budget years. Review the information in the links below to start preparing an ATP project application.
Why we need funding for Safe Routes to School projects in California:
The need for school-based infrastructure improvements and education, encouragement, and enforcement programs still looms large! For example:
- 26% – 31% of CA kids already walk or bicycle to school, more than 2x the national average.
- Only 13% of students in CA have the option to ride a school bus compared to 37% nationally; these children need safe alternatives.
- Statewide, 27 percent of children killed or seriously injured in traffic collisions are on the street walking or bicycling – again nearly twice the national average!
- African-American and Latino children, and children from lower-income households, are more likely to walk or bicycle to school in CA but are less likely to have safe streets on which to travel.
- See the Travel to School in California brief for more data on the need for Safe Routes to School.
Fortunately, the ATP continues to prioritize funding to provide Safe Routes to School for children to travel.
- California Transportation Commission – Active Transportation Program (ATP)
- Caltrans – Active Transportation Program.
- California National Partnership staff: Jeanie, Marty, and Jessica.