Photo courtesy of Dave Dugdale on Flickr
Active transportation funding comes from a plethora of sources, from federal, state, county, local and private funding sources. At the beginning of this year, the Safe Routes to School National Partnership published the Transportation Finance in Los Angeles County: An Overview. Similarly, the National Partnership hopes to grow its expertise in transportation finance into the other Southern California counties and understand what sources of funding can be leveraged for multimodal investments, including active transportation, planning and implementation.
One local source of funds for active transportation – pedestrian and bicycle projects – is the Local Transportation Funds (LTF), which is managed by the relevant county transportation commission (CTC). The LTFs are derived from a ¼ cent sales tax on retail sales statewide. Funds are returned to the county of generation and used mostly for transit operations and transit capital expenses.
Within the LTF the Transportation Development Act (TDA) Article 3 program allocates 2% of this funding to be returned to counties for bicycle and pedestrian facilities. TDA Article 3 funds must be used exclusively for bicycle or pedestrian facilities and can not be used to supplement roadway improvements. At SANBAG, 20% of the TDA funds available for projects that improve access to transit stops for pedestrians and persons with disabilities. The remaining 80% is allocated to bicycle and pedestrian projects across the county.
The information from the CTCs show the allocation of TDA Article 3 projects for 2013-2014 in the Inland Empire, where Riverside County awarded more pedestrian facility and San Bernardino County awarded more bicycle facility projects. Read more of this post